Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Introduction Guide

1.       Ask yourself: “Why am I interested in the topic? What initially caused me to research the topic?”
I am interested in this topic because as an aspiring journalist, freedom of the press is something that I have always treasured and been grateful for. Then I started to wonder, why should other artists (film makers, musicians, etc.) have to face censorship for their art forms? It just didn’t seem fair, so I wanted to do my paper on censorship in the arts, and how it should be banned.

2.       Then consider how you relate with the topic (e.g. I own pit bulls: they should not be banned; I have family that immigrated to the United States: open border policy; I always dreamed to be an astronaut and go to the moon: the truth about the first lunar landing).
I relate to this topic because I am going to college for journalism, so I’m really interested in censorship laws. I also have friends who are currently studying art in college, and they are taught in class to always push the limits, but then in the real world they take the chance of possibly being censored? That just doesn’t seem right.

3.       Once you simply define your relation to the topic, explain a personal experience that elaborates upon your relation to the topic.  If you are having trouble thinking of something, simply call me over.
 Although this relates somewhat indirectly with censorship in the arts, it is still a personal experience that I have with censorship. I am an editor on the school newspaper, and there have been several occasions where I, along with the rest of the staff, were denied the right to publish articles that “portrayed the school in a negative light.” This was actually just the opinion of one man (Dr. Cheng). In reality, though, the articles were purely fact and didn’t even portray the school negatively. I found this type of censorship extremely frustrating.

4.       Lastly, consider the purpose in arguing your topic.  How will you defend your stance?  What will you do to argue your purpose?
I will use examples of past censorship issues and argue how unfair they are.  


No comments:

Post a Comment